Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lent day 36

“Whatever you have done to the least of these, you have done to me.”

These are some of the most powerful words that I think Jesus spoke.

He not only calls us to care about what happens to those around us, but to go out of our way to take care of those who can’t take care of themselves.

I think it’s natural for us to want to just stay in our nice little bubble and pretend that we don’t have these things going on around us.

But no matter where you live there are strangers around you that you could invite into your life.

There are those who are hungry and thirsty that you could give food and water to.

Naked that you could clothe.

Sick or imprisoned to visit.

I think one of the hardest things for me is that I don’t want to do these things because they will get me into heaven.

I don’t think that God will seriously look at a checklist and see if I have fulfilled each and every requirement He has listed.

If we do these things to check them off our list, then I think we are kind of sinning in a way.

If we help out those around us just to look good. Then, as Jesus said, we have gained our reward from those we were looking to please.

But if we do these things out of the outpouring of God’s love into our lives.

Then God will welcome into heaven with the words, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment