Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lent day 21

Today in my devotions, N.T. Wright was talking about traditions and how they affect us.

He was partially talking about how they can be harmful to us and our faith if they more or less become our faith. Then we are just going through the motions, because this is what we are supposed to do.

But I’ve found in my own life that there is so much beauty in tradition.

The thought that the prayers I’m praying or the hymns I’m singing or the faith I’m practicing, has been handed down to me by the faithful that have gone before me, makes it so much deeper to me.

I do agree that if we rely too much on the traditions they can take over and then we are not really thinking about things the way we should be.

But if you take the time and examine the traditions of your faith you will probably find something beautiful that you didn’t expect to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment