Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Lent day 29

Since I finished reading Timothy Keller’s Prayer, I’ve been reading C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity. One of those books I was supposed to have read in college and have hung onto ever since, but have still never made it through.

In some ways I’m kind of glad I didn’t read it in college. I don’t think I was ready for it then. I really don’t think I would have gotten much out of it. Which is probably why I stopped reading it to begin with. I know I have tried to read it several times since then too, and just haven’t been able to get through it.

But this time has been very different. I’ve found it to be a great book with a lot of good theology that is helping me.

Today, I read a line that really struck me.

“That is why horrible nations have horrible religions: they have been looking at God through a dirty lens.”

People look at the way some Christians act and say that they can’t be worshiping the same God as me because they have a horrible faith or act out their faith in horrible ways. In some ways this might be true. If they are truly missing the basics of faith, they may be worshiping a god more of their own making then the true God.

But I think, as Lewis said, they are more likely just looking at God through a dirty lens, and so therefore cannot truly see Him and the ways He would have them act.

No comments:

Post a Comment