Friday, March 20, 2015

Lent day 31

Today I was reading in C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity and he was talking about how when we become Christians, it’s not like we will automatically become a perfect human and all our bad habits will fall away. But more that you will be better than you would be without your faith and better than you were before your faith.

That is one of the things I’ve struggled with as I’ve grown up.

When I was a kid I thought that I wasn’t a good Christian because I would sin in some way. I was not able to live a perfect life, so therefore I must not be a true Christian.

But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to realize that none of us are perfect.

We all sin.

The point of living a Christian life is not that we are perfect all the time. But that we are trying to live out our faith and become better people.

For most of us it will not be an instantaneous change. It’s not that God couldn’t do that. He could change us completely in one moment, and in a way He does.

But real lasting change comes from struggle and working through things.

He does change us instantly though. Before we become Christians we probably could care less about being better people. But He gives us the will to change who we are. That is how we will change. He changes our desires and then helps us change over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment