Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lent day 22

A couple of days ago I finished reading through Timothy Keller’s Prayer. I have to say that it was a great book. It has broadened my understanding of prayer and the different ways which we can go about praying.

I feel that It has really changed my views on prayer.

One of the biggest things that I think I got out of it, is that my prayers don’t need to be perfect.

That God knows my heart and He knows what I need.

Just like my kids hopefully know that I would give them what they need, so too should I have faith that God will give me that things that I need.

The most important thing, is to keep coming before Him in prayer, and developing and deepening my relationship with Him, to the point that I might long for the things He longs for.

I believe that this is the true reason for prayer. That we might align our hearts to His will.

At times in my life, I’ve really struggled with prayer. One of my biggest problems with prayer has been that if God already knows what’s in my heart, why do I need to take the time to ask Him?

It would seem like a waste of time to set time apart to pray about the things that are weighing on my heart, if God already knows what they are.

Plus, does He really need me to ask Him before He can work in my life or those around me?

But I think I’ve now come to understand that we pray to bring our minds around to the will of God and to deepen this relationship.

We bring the things that concern us to Him and ask for His help in them, not just so that He can now grant our wishes, but so that the things that weigh on our hearts will not weigh on them quite so heavily. That we may lay these things down at His feet and not get sucked down by the worries of life.

I know that my views on prayer will probably keep changing and growing as I get older and as I try to deepen my prayer life in general.

Just thought I’d share where I am on it right now with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment