Monday, March 14, 2016

Dropping the stones and walking away

Yesterday, Pastor Jason gave a powerful message about the woman caught in adultery.

I've always looked at this passage through the eyes of the woman. But Jason also challenged us to see ourselves in the Pharisees. This was hard for me at first.

I don't like to think of myself as a judgmental person. Yet I realized last night that I always have a stone in my hand ready to throw at those around me.

During the sermon we were given a stone to hold onto. I found that when I gripped it hard in my hands, that it grew hot. But when I loosened my grip and let is sit in my hand it would cool down.

I realized that the more we hold onto these judgmental stones and we're ready to throw them the hotter they get in our hands and hearts. But if we can learn to let go of those judgmental parts of us, our hands and hearts will cool down.God's laws and should be punished.

I like what Jason said that some commentators say about this story. That when Jesus bent down and wrote in the dirt, He was listing off the sins of the Pharisees.

I can see Him kneeling down beside this woman and He is writing out my hidden sins.

How can I ever condemn another sinner, when I should be there next to them getting stoned too.

I would like to say that the Pharisees dropped their stones and never picked them up again. That they left their judgments there at the feet of Jesus. But I'm sure that they, like us, have picked them back up many times.

But maybe we can all see that as we grip them tight and they start to heat up, that we are no better then the one lying on the ground in front of us.

The only one who can truly throw stones at us never even picked one up.

He simply offered us His hand and picked us up and offered us a chance at a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment