Saturday, April 18, 2015

He withdrew from there

In Matthew 14, when news reaches Jesus of His cousin John the Baptists death, the first thing He does is very much the first thing I would do. He withdraws from where He was. He hops in a boat and tries to find a place to be alone.

This is exactly the way I am when things get to be too much. I need to be alone to process things. To pray. To collect my thoughts in a quiet and calm place.

But unfortunately for Jesus, in this situation, He is met with all of the people who had heard where He was going.

I think I would have jumped back on the boat and told them to take me somewhere else.

But Jesus had compassion on them.

It’s right after this that two of the most told miracles of Jesus happen. He feeds the 5000 people who have gathered to see Him. Then after finally getting some alone time, He walks on the water to get to the boat with His disciples in it.

I have no idea how Jesus could be that patient and kind. I wish I could be as compassionate and kind when things don’t go the way I have planned. I guess it means I have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment