Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lent day 4

Today my devotional was in Matthew 4 again and this time focusing even more on the temptation part. I think I really needed to hear some of this today and so I thought I would share it with you.

N.T. Wright talked about how temptation starts of as just a little bit off-limits and then it leads us one step further away from where we know we should be.

You don’t start off by killing a man, but by disliking him. Then hating him. Then thinking of ways to hurt him. Then acting out on the fantasy.

You don’t start off by having sex outside your marriage. You start by lusting over those around you. Then by flirting. Then spending more time with them.

He also said that temptation is the perversion of something good for not good reasons. Bread is a good thing, but if Jesus had given in and made the stones into bread for just Himself and to prove that He was who He said he was would have been a sin.

I pray that God would give me the wisdom to hear and know when the voices in my head are from the tempter and the strength of character to say no to the temptations in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment