Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lent day 11

As I was reading today, I found myself very easily distracted. You might say this is because I have two little kid at home and they don’t really know the meaning of sit still and be quiet.

But that’s not the case.

In fact almost everything I’ve written lately has been with one or both of my kids hanging out around me or even on me.

This morning though, I find myself up way before anyone else in the house is up and I thought I would take this rare quiet time to do my studies.

Yet my mind was distracted, thinking of all kinds of different things. Running through lists of things to do.

Thinking maybe I should just go back to bed and finish this all a little later.

Then, while reading a section in Timothy Keller’s Prayer on meditation, I came to a passage on how sometimes the Spirit will not speak to us easily. That our earthly minds will sometimes be distracted and we will find it hard to concentrate on the words of God.

His advice was to keep going, but to also cry out to God for help. To ask God to quiet your mind and help you concentrate on His word.

This brought my distracted mind back into the moment and spurred me on to finish the rest of the section for today.

It wasn’t easy. I had to ask God to help me concentrate several times. But God came alongside me and quieted my mind and spoke to me this morning. Despite my easily distracted mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment