Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent day 3

As I was looking for things to give up this Lenten season, I thought of fasting from a meal or something specific. But I realized that I’ve never really been good a fasting from things. I get cranky and then find all kinds of excuses to get around it.

This is probably something I should work on. But I’m not doing that this season.

I decided to add a couple of things into my life that I also needed to be doing.

I started doing a devotional by N.T. Wright and reading the book Prayer by Timothy Keller.

I’m not saying this to brag. That’s another thing that I tend to find annoying during Lent, that every feels the need to tell everyone what they are giving up.

I’m just telling you the things that I’ve been going through and where I’ll be getting my ideas.

So, today I was reading Matthew 4.about the temptation of Jesus, and I realized how much I’ve struggled with fasting and temptation in general.

I realized that’s why I’ve never wanted to give things up for lent. I’ve always found ways to justify giving in to the temptation of eating when I said I would fast or doing the thing that I said I wouldn’t.

I know that this may not be a big encouraging post. I don’t really have anything else to say though. No nice bow to wrap this thing up with. Just wanted to be honest about the things that I struggle with that I feel God speaking to me about.

No comments:

Post a Comment