Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Politics 2

I have to say, for someone who was so done with politics just yesterday, I'm as surprised as you to be writing another political piece. But here it is. I was surprised to find that when I woke up yesterday afternoon, that I actually turned on to CNN to see what was happening. I tuned in just before the first poles closed and sat glued to the coverage all the way through the acceptance speech. I think part of it was just wanting to see history. I know, just yesterday I said I would try to keep my feeling out of this, but I can't anymore. I'm not even sure I did yesterday. but oh well. I started out hoping that Obama might have a chance. And then found myself near tears during his speech. That's what got a hold of me again yesterday. Hope. Hope that something might change. Hope that my child will grow up in a world that is not so divided, both racially and politically. HOPE! As most of you know, I don't always see hope or goodness in many things. And for it to come from a politician amazes even me. But listening to Obama's speech last night moved me. And I know, you'll say, "Well, he's just a good speaker." But that isn't the whole thing. Yes, he is an amazing speaker. But as I've watched his campaign, from the beginning I saw something different. something good. Something positive. That's the reason I was so moved yesterday to see the President Elect Barack Obama speak. That's not to say I agree with him on everything. Or that McCain would have been a horrible choice. I, like many people I know, used to admire McCain. I used to think very highly of him. But he lost a lot of respect in my book with the way he ran his campaign. Well, I think I should end here before I dig myself a hole. I'll leave you with this: Hope is a beautiful thing. It can bring light even into the darkest reaches of the hardened heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment