Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rebekah’s choice

I’ve always thought it was kind of strange that Isaac’s wife, Rebekah, would choose to help Jacob trick Isaac into giving him the blessing that should have gone to Esau.

But today as I was reading Genesis 25, I came across something I don’t think I’d noticed before.

When she is still pregnant with the twins, she feels them fighting inside of her, and goes to God to ask what is wrong.

“The Lord said to her, ‘Two nations are in your womb; And two peoples will be separated from your body; And one people shall be stronger than the other; And the older shall serve the younger.” Verse 23

This made me wonder if this was the reason she favored Jacob over Esau and helped him.

Or did God know that she would favor Jacob and so He gave her this self-fulfilling prophecy as such?

Or did God see that He would use them in His own ways that I can’t even begin to comprehend?

I don’t have any answers. Just a thought I had this morning. I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment