Monday, May 16, 2016

My Yoke

Yesterday in our service Pastor Jason was talking about how a stole is seen as a yoke put on pastors and priests. That it can symbolize the burden of God for pastors.

It reminded me of while I was growing up a few people would talk to me about what I wanted to be and several of them assumed that I would be a pastor. Both of my grandpas were pastors as well as my dad. So they thought this was just the way that I would have to go.

I do want to say that I didn't feel this from my parents. It was mainly other people who thought they knew what was right for me.

I remember one guy telling me that if I didn't I was letting my family and God down. That our family was just supposed to be pastors.

This was a heavy burden on my shoulders for a long time. I don't really know that I've ever even talked about it. But it really wore on me.

I realized yesterday that it hurt and was so hard for me, because it wasn't my yoke. It's like when David tried to put on King Saul's armor. It was too big and heavy for him, and he couldn't move.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem in life. Someone has put a yoke on your shoulders that doesn't fit. It's too heavy and too big. You can't move and you can't do the work that God has called you too.

The Bible says that God's yoke is easy and His burden is light. I don't think that means it won't be work. More that it should fit you and then you can pull against the reins and pull the burden.

God has a different yoke and burden for each of us. Trying to put on someone else's will just make it hard for you and those around you.

It's kind of funny to me now. I look at my life now and actually I do see how, while it is vastly different from being a pastor of a church, I do see myself ministering. I help to lead worship in church and I write mainly about spiritual things here on my blog.

I just had to pray and ask God to help me find the right yoke for my life.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. When it is the right yoke - God's intended yoke - it is easy because it fits.

    ReplyDelete