Friday, August 19, 2016

When I'm Gone

This post may be a little strange and not like most of my usual posts. But it's what I feel like writing today.

I've always had a very weird sense of my mortality. While most teens and young adults live like they think they'll never die, I didn't see myself living out of my 20s and I was OK with that.

I was even asked by a friend how long I wanted to live and I said 10 more years and then I was done. I didn't want to get old. I didn't want to be middle aged. I saw no real point to life after about 28.

This actually led to a minor breakdown when I actually turned 29.

Anyway, that's just some background. I love living now and have many reasons to be alive.

But last night as I was putting Chloe to bed, I was praying for her after she was asleep.

I do this every once in a while if I'm with my children after they are asleep. I put my hand on their back and pray that God would bless and keep them. That they would get a good night sleep and that they would know that I love them.

But last night seemed different to me. As I was praying I realized that this time I was praying for a future Chloe. That God would take care of her when I'm not there. But my phrasing actually sounded like I thought I was going to die soon.

Part way through I heard a voice in my head say that if I keep going the way that I am, with my weight ever expanding and general health going downhill, I probably won't make it much longer.

For the first time in my life, the thought of dying youngish broke my heart.

I don't want to die and leave my family.

I don't want to die and have my kids not have a father.

I don't want to die.

But in so many ways, I don't know how to live anymore.

I've let myself go so far that it's hard to even start in the right direction.

I don't have any answers and I'm not going to say that everything will change from this day on. I'd only be lying if I said that.

I just know that I want to live.

For my wife.

For my kids.

For me.

1 comment:

  1. Add me to the list of people who want you to live. For many reasons I want you to live.

    From my vantage point it is easy to see how much your family loves you and wants to be with you.

    From a selfish viewpoint, I enjoy conversations with you. Your insights are helpful and often challenging. It is easy to see that you not only are aware of current events, but you care for the earth and those who inhabit it. Your humor is a delightful addition to any day, and recently I was, for the first time, fortunate enough to hear you sing and play your guitar. Selfish reasons I know, but I doubt that I am the only person with selfish reasons.

    It seems that you have made the decision to make a change. I encourage you to select an accountability partner(s) and plan of action. Change is difficult but very rewarding in the end.

    For all of us, please move forward with your plan for change. There are lots of us who want you to live and enjoy life to its fullest.

    - C Cole

    ReplyDelete