Monday, December 10, 2012

Keep Your Eye On The Donut

The other night as I was putting Max to bed, I read him a devotional book that we got him a while back. It’s a VeggieTales book for boys. We don’t read it near enough. Part of the problem is that it’s a little over his head. He doesn’t get everything that is said in it. But anyway, I read him a devotional, and it kind of hit home for me.

The title was “Keep Your Eye Upon The Donut.” It had a poem in it that they had seen in a donut shop somewhere. It goes like this.

As you travel through life brother, Whatever be your goal, Keep your eye upon the donut, And not upon the hole.

They went on to talk about how we should be thankful for the things we have in our lives and not just focus on the things we don’t have. I find myself doing this all the time. It seems like it’s the American way to look at the things that you don’t have and covet them. I have a iPhone 4S. Does that mean I don’t want to have an iPhone 5? No. Which is crazy. I have so much in my life. But I’m always looking at all the things I don’t have.

So, I’m going to try to take more time to be thankful and to show my thanks to those around me. I’m not very good at telling people thanks. In fact, I’m horrible at it. I always mean to. But never remember until it’s way too late.

Today, I would like to thank my family for all of the things they have done for me. I could never repay the love that you have given me. I know I’m not always the easiest to love. Especially because it can be a thankless job sometimes. But you have stayed by my side no matter what I have done to try to push you away. Thank you for loving me and keeping me from hurting myself too much.

So, what’s your donut today? What is the thing that  you have been relying on, while spending your time looking at what you don’t have?

No comments:

Post a Comment